Saturday, August 11, 2018

Yummy- small harvest time!

     It finally stopped raining on Saturday so little E and I got out in the garden and harvested a few things. Gardening brings me peace and sanity. I like to stroll along or sit beside it and drink in the beauty. Sometimes, it also brings us a little food.

     Today we were able to get a few tomatoes that had just started turning. Since it had some clusters near each other we picked them and put them in the window. When they get nice and ripe we will put up a pic because we are fairly sure these are Mr. Stripey and will be the first of those we have haevested. We left the others to harvest on the vine. 

     Then we were able to get some more patty pan squash. We have been eating these up. Big E likes them sliced raw like a cucumber, little E likes them cut up with other veggies and roasted in the oven. I tried a stuffed recipe and we all thought it was just ok, but I may try another before we fully decide if that is a no-go or not. I think I will try breading them and frying them up next. We have some frozen (mixed with yellow squash and zucchini) so we can enjoy it this winter and a small freezer bag by itself. It has done well for us, but we may pull it up soon to prepare for fall gardening. 

     We also harvested some herbs to make some pesto tonight. Mostly basil, but we stuck in a little lemon thyme and some mint. I am hoping it will give us some nice flavor in there. I still need to run to the store to get some olive oil but I have everything else. I love love love pesto so I am excited!

     We also got a small mess of beans. Finally enough to use as a small side with dinner!! I have also been freezing the small amount we get when little E runs out and sees a few beans and picks them. We almost have a small freezer bag full so I figure at least those didn't go to waste. There are a lot of blooms and some small ones left so I think we will be able to get a few more small messes. *fingers crossed* I am hoping to collect another small bag to freeze and another dinner sized mess or two. 

     We hope you are getting some good harvests from your garden and enjoying them as much as we are!

Happy gardening everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment