Monday, July 16, 2018

There is no place like home...

     I have returned from my trip which means I have finished the part of summer where I am away from home a lot. I will have to give the garden some TLC next weekend, but for now I have been harvesting, saving some seed, and putting a little back.
The garden certainly grew while I was away!!
Here are the front garden tomatoes


     These are the strawberries and couple of fall squash plants. Also one cucumber that I moved from behind the tomatoes before I left.



Front garden yellowneck squash.



The Pappaw Bill tomato has grown a lot, has blooms, and a few little tomatoes appearing. It is surrounded by squash and zucchini.



My pot potato is looking a little sad, but hopefully will get better. Mr. Zucchini and planter tomato are pretty happy, and will be even better with a good watering.



The cucumbers and beans are producing. In fact, one cucumber plant is all over the place. We were able to harvest a few beans. Hopefully before long there will be enough for a true mess.



The grapevine and beans underneath are doing just fine. I can't wait until nex t year when the grapevine has a new home and can grow up a trellis again.



Thepumpkins, corn and beans are rocking it out. Also, I discovered one plant I thought was a pumpkin is patty pan squash. Harvested three of them today. (Ms. Patty Pan is front and center by the walkway).



Overview of the small pumpkin and corn patches.



Here  are a few pics of the harvest (other than the patty pan squash and a few more tomatoes and two 9regular yellow squash). The Pink Brandywine tomatoes are so big they are trying to split so I will harvest when they begin to turn and let them ripen in the windowsill.









And here is little E with her giant zucchini! She is also holding her gardening hat I picked up in New Orleans.



     We have been busy with our little harvest. So busy I forgot to take pics! We went ahead and cut  a mix of the yellow squash, pattypan, and zucchini for dinner tonight. Then we cut up most of the rest, blanched it, and put in a gallon freezer bag for this winter. Lastly, we saved some seeds from those, the tomatoes, and the true potato seeds. Thank goodness because it doesn't appear we will get many if any actual potatoes this year. Time will tell.

    We have three smaller squash waiting to be fried later this week, three cucumbers to cut and eat fresh, and a variety of tomatoes. Shew! I usually like to pick and eat as I go. Hopefully, now that we are home and used up the excess we can get back to that!

What have you been doing in your garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment